Thursday, January 24, 2008

A New Year's Resolution You Can Still Make Good On

So Blue Monday has come and gone (and so far in 2008, I've heard neither the original New Order song of the same name, nor the Orgy cover of it--success!) and allegedly with it, came the death of new year's resolutions for millions around the country.

Given that the gym (Crunch in Buckhead--check it out) was empty enough I could've seen tumbleweeds (ok, that might also be because my lazy ass has neglected to do cardio training for years and going from no running to several miles per week may have caused hallucinations.) So there may be truth to all that.

But it's not too late for you (no, seriously, you don't have to join the gym, I like not having to wait to use a machine or dumbells or an elliptical trainer) because you can help me with my big '08 resolution.

Before the end of spring I want to have a readable draft of the book I've been working on for 2+ years done and ready to go. That's another 200 pages more or less, by ideally, May 1.

But here's the catch. Other than Fall '06, when I was dating a writer (and had mentioned my plans to take part in NaNoWriMo on our first date) I've been piss poor at writing on a daily basis. And while I wouldn't necessarily say "no" to dating a writer now (that's a whole 'nother post), I don't think I have to date anyone for this to work. But, the occasional nagging prod in my direction, via blog comments, Facebook messages, MySpace messages, phone calls, text messages, or in person (your ideal, market-tested script in toto: "So Will, how's the novel coming?") that will do.

Rewards for this fairly easy job will very, but likely include: getting free booze, getting to read the semi-finished book before other folks, maybe even your initials in the "Thanks" section. Did I mention the free booze?

So, how's my novel coming? (Repeat after me...)

No comments: